5.2.13

Like Diamonds in the Sky.

 To say that I have a long standing affair with jewelry, would be an understatement. 99% of the time I am rocking earrings, necklaces(yes plural), bracelets and rings. I don't feel like myself without having jewelry on. I do not leave the house with less than 5 rings on. Ever. And unless I am going to bed there are always earrings swinging in my ears. I only wear non-dangling earrings when exercising. I have been known to have on up to 50 bracelets at once. I am very much looking forward to being an old lady one day dripping with baubles, the more eclectic and eccentric the better. Yes. I am going to be that sort of grandmother. With long white hair, maxi dresses, smoking slippers and the biggest glasses I can find.

I just love jewelry. It really is my armor. I don't feel ready to face the day without it. Here are some of my current favorites. I pretty much wear these pieces everyday, except the earrings. They are way to heavy to wear too often. In fact I haven't even worn them yet. I have just been pulling them out and fondling them like Gollum and the ring. They certainly are my preciouses!
 This is a black star necklace that Daniel bought for me in Agra, India. We were discussing our love of whiskey with the man who ran the shop and he said to us "Whiskey is risky, makes you frisky." haha. It was such an experience. The black star can only be found in India. The star is reflected light. It makes me feel protected. The power of it to reflect makes me feel like it deflects any negative energy that comes toward me. I know it's a bit silly. But supposedly, it can help alleviate aggression and stubbornness and is said to be related to love, commitment, and the inner heart. It is also said to bring creativity to the wearer. Physically Black Star Diopside is believed to heal the heart, lungs, and the circulatory system. It is also believed to aid with psychological disorders and weaknesses.
I don't know if it does all that but it certainly makes me feel a bit more grounded, planted and balanced, like a massive tree. 
   
I love, LOVE, love these bracelets. The turquoise one used to belong to grandmother before her death. I have been wearing practically every day now for the past few years. Not only does it remind me of her but it is an authentic native American piece thought to be of the Iroquois. I love all the details in the silver. The other one is a gift Daniel purchased for me in India. He didn't give to me until we were home for Hannukah. So I am not sure where in India he got it. Despite being from different sort of Indians, haha, they go together so well I feel like they were destined to be a pair on my wrist.
 
These rings have all come to me at such different times and places but somehow make the perfect knuckle ring trio. The one on the right I got when I was around twelve. It's actually a toe ring that I got at the Laguna Beach Sawdust Festival one summer. The middle one I found a couple years ago at the Melrose Trading Post. I had no idea the magnitude of my find at the time. I have grown extremely attached to that little silver horse. It has slipped off my finger 2 or 3 times now, but Daniel always manages to find it and reunite us. Lastly the ring on the left I purchased in Delhi on my second day in India. It has been glued to my finger ever since.
 
These Dannijo Sade earrings were a recent purchase. I bought them to wear on my wedding day. Which is in 124 days! However they ended up not going with my headpiece. So I plan on wearing them to my rehearsal dinner. Normally I wouldn't blog about something I haven't worn yet, but I am having a hard time resisting their allure. I have only worn them at home while I work. They are the precious for sure. They are big, glamorous, classic, radical, a little vintage 20s meets native American warrior.


"I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. 
You can't possess radiance, you can only admire it."
-Elizabeth Taylor 

No comments:

Post a Comment