7.11.11

Favorite Things: November.

I'm going to start posting my favorite things for each month. Starting with this month November 2011...Here are things I just love for this month:

1. Vietnamese Coffee. Ever since I went to Vietnam, I just can't get enough of Trung Nguyen's Gourmet Blend. It's so rich. creamy and strong enough to run a jet engine. I order it off amazon all the time. It ignites my fire. Though I drink it year around, it's great for November when you're starting to feel lazy and just want to stay in bed.
 Get Your Engine Running Full Speed.


2. Balsam + Cedar candles from Anthropologie. They are seriously the best smelling candles ever!!!! It's like the holiday season poured into a little tin. I am not a fan of the holidays but I do love this candle. It's everything there is for my holiday spirit. They only have them during this time of year, I always make sure to stock up.
 
It's like a pine forest filled with Balsam.
Get them here.

3. I have rediscovered my love Kaki King. She is truly an eclectic wonder! She is a musical alchemist the way she blends melancholy rock and ambient tones. Did I mention that she is a mind blowing guitar player? I especially love to listen to this track while I am writing, it has a great build and no lyrics to sidetrack my brain. I can see the drama playing out to the melody...

4. Bande à part. It's a 1964 French New Wave film directed by Jean-Luc Godard. 
The english title is Band of Outsiders, but the exact translation of the french title means 'to do something outside the group.' Godard describes it as Alice in Wonderland meets Franz Kafka. If that doesn't wet your whistle for this film, I don't know what will. It stars Anna Karina (my fave), Claude Brasseur and Sami Frey as Odile, Arthur and Franz.

 There's bicycles, guns, dancing, robbery, running through the Louvre and more....



 all screenshots by me.


5. Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

A fictional story revolving around Rudy Waltz, a chilling and satirical look at the death of innocence. I read it this summer in Cape Cod but wish I had saved it for now. All the mention of snow in the novel, makes it ideal to curl up by the fire with.  It's has a double murder, a neutron bomb, radioactivity and a search for happiness and absolution...Oh, and Kurt Vonnegut is awesome.
 My cat Mr. Tail likes it too.

6. I love LACE!!!!! Especially lace dresses.
They're so feminine it's fun to use edgy accessories. 
 
u/o dress & wedges.

vintage dress. dolce vita boots.

left: free people sweater tunic. right: vintage navy dress.


topshop dress.
photos of me shot by my wonderful boyfriend Daniel.

7. I cannot get enough of composer Michael Galasso's "Baroque", from Chungking Express. It's so romantic and action oriented. I play it non stop.

8. "Look famous. Be legendary. Appear complex. Act easy. Radiate presence. Travel light. Seem a dream. Prove real." -Unknown


9. Pumpkin everything! Bread, lattes, scones, pie, cookies, etc.

 mmmmmm mmmmmmm.

10. Dark Purple Dahlias.  I love the deep, almost gothic feel of the dark dahlias. They are elegant, soft and feminine.
They look great with the bright sunflowers. I love the melancholy and cheer, they compliment each other. No matter your mood, this arrangement will enhance it.


11. Head-wear. I love putting things on my head...wreaths, hats, scarves, flowers, headbands, ribbons...
Now that the weather is getting a bit colder, it's the perfect time to pull em out.
 
wrap your head in a scarf.
a wreath of gold leaves.
a classic straw hat.
a retro head band.
a soft knit hat.
  Photos by Daniel, my love.
12. Owls. I always love owls but November seems to be their month to me. They are wise, solitary, nocturnal creatures. They hole up all day and creep out in the darkness to hunt their prey. What really gets me is that owls can fly almost completely silent. It is widely believed throughout Africa, Mexico, South America and most native Americans that owls are harbingers of death, evil and scorcery. They bring with them bad luck, ill health and even death. There's an old mexican saying, still in use today, "Cuando el tecolote canta, el indio muere ." It means 'that when the owl cries or sings, the Indian dies'. Despite all of this negativity surrounding owls, I really like them. Strangely I seem to identify with them. They remind me of Edgar Allen Poe.
Some of my owl collection.

13. Out of my records, I have recently been drawn to  
Bon Iver's self titled album, Bon Iver
and Panda Bear's Tomboy...over and over...
Bon Iver for late nights of candles, rain and romance. Panda Bear for getting ready to go somewhere, it's calming and energizing at once. 
all photos, unless otherwise noted, are taken by me.


Enjoy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment